Our mission is to create a partnership between academic subjects and real world experience in an active learning environment that will prepare students for successful careers, promote responsible citizenship and healthy lifestyles in a diverse society. All students will be given the opportunity to succeed.Core Values
- We will be the best learning community.
- We educate the whole person.
- We treat all people with courtesy and respect.
- We maintain absolute honesty and integrity in all we do.
- Each of us will seek continuous improvement.
- LHS is a stimulating, positive, caring place.
Leavenworth High School is a comprehensive and cosmopolitan high school. A diverse curriculum is offered with a high number of courses that reflect academic rigor, in core subjects and in fine arts, practical arts, physical education, and Junior ROTC.
Leavenworth High School runs on a standard four-year graduation curriculum. Enrollment at LHS averages about 1,400 students. The school is accredited by the North Central Association of Secondary Schools and met Adequate Yearly Progress for three consecutive years on the Kansas State Assessments in Reading and Mathematics. Leavenworth High School operates under a seven period day, in which students may enroll in courses that are either a semester or a year in length. Students earn one credit every semester for each class. Students are required to earn at least forty-six credits in order to graduate.
Colors: Blue and White
Team Name: Pioneers
Mascot: Pioneer Pete
Leavenworth High School was established in 1865, making it one of the first high schools in Kansas. Students admitted from "graded" schools to the "higher" courses (hence, high school) studied Latin, Math, Rhetoric, Science, Caesar and Virgil like their counterparts from the East Coast.
The first building to house the high school was a renovated church. In 1904 the taxpayers of Leavenworth authorized a new building for the high school at the corner of 4th and Chestnut. In 1932 the building was destroyed by fire. A new building was soon erected at the same site in time to begin classes in the fall of 1933.
When the high school was moved to its present site at 2012 Tenth Avenue in 1959, the old building became East Junior High School. In 1990 the high school was renovated and changed from a campus style to the present layout. Although Latin and Virgil are no longer offered at LHS, students currently choose from over one hundred other course offerings.